New and Old Regulations and Policies

How can I find out if I should have been grand fathered to a new qualification?

The following is a time line to regulatory changes and the effect to existing Amateurs:

July 2005: Any Amateur who held a Basic Certificate from before April 2 2002 were grand fathered to a Basic with Honours Certificate.

March 2000: VE9 becomes the exclusive prefix to New Brunswick. All residents of New Brunswick who held VE1/VA1 call signs are grand fathered these call signs. March 2000: Publishing of RIC-9 introduces a new policy for two letter call signs, capping the number of two letter call signs for individuals to one, and disallowing clubs from holding any two letter call signs. All individuals with more than one two letter and clubs with any two letter call signs were grand fathered these call signs. March 1993: All Amateurs who held an Amateur and Advanced Certificate were Grand fathered to Basic, 12 wpm and Advanced.

March 1993: All Amateurs who held an Amateur Digital Radio Operator’s Certificate were Grand fathered to Basic and Advanced Certificate.

October 1990: All Amateurs who held an Amateur Certificate or an Amateur and Advanced Certificate were grand fathered to Basic, 12 wpm and Advanced.

Are there countries that I am prohibited to contact or communicate with?

No, if you are a licenced operator you may communicate with any person / country.

Can I operate my amateur station while visiting the United States?

Canadian amateurs operating in the USA have the same privileges as they have in Canada, limited by USA band edges and mode restrictions in accordance with FCC Part 97 Rules. Canadian citizens holding a Canadian licence may operate in USA without having to obtain a permit, but they must maintain a Canadian address in order to keep their call sign.

What is the procedure after an Amateur has died?

When an amateur dies Industry Canada must be notified of the death by either a copy of the death certificate or an obituary. Once the documentation is sent Industry Canada places the call sign on hold for One Year from the date of passing, during this period of time an immediate family member may obtain the call sign by submitting an application and payment of the $60 fee. If no person from the immediate family obtains the call sign after the One year is due the call sign is released and available to the public.

*NOTE: Close family friends etc. are not eligible to obtain the call sign during the year that the call sign is on hold for Next of Kin. If the family does not want the call sign they can write to industry Canada with permission to release the call sign early. Then if the friend of the family is the first to submit the application for that particular call sign it is awarded to them. Once a call sign is released it is First Come – First Served, so even if a family releases a call early with intention of allowing a family friend to obtain it, if it is not the first application received Industry Canada is not responsible

I am going to be moving to somewhere outside of Canada and will no longer have a valid Canadian address. How does this effect my Amateur status?

According to RIC-9 call signs are assigned based on your geographical area in Canada. If you do not have a valid address in Canada your call sign will have to be released. You will still have your licence for amateur radio and if you come back to operate in Canada you will not have to take the exams over; you will need to pay the fee in order to obtain a new call sign in that event.

What advantages are there to having my Basic with Honours?

An amateur that has there Basic with Honours (demonstrated by a plus (+) beside their surname) is able to operate on the same amateur frequencies as those available to an amateur with their Advanced qualifications.

I took my Basic exam after the cut off for the grandfathering of Basic with Honours, but I did get over 80% on the exam, and should have a (+) next to my last name. How can I notify Industry Canada and the ARSC to make this change?

If you believe that you should have the (+), contact the examiner who administered your exam and have them send your application to our office again. If it is found that the (+) is missing, it will be added.

I have a plus (+) beside my name on the database. What does this mean?

A plus (+) beside the surname of an amateur means that the individual has achieved a mark of 80% or greater on their Basic exam. If an individual than proceeds to take their Advanced or Morse code exams the plus is removed.

Do I have to have my home address appear on the online amateur database?

You must give a valid address when applying for your first call sign, and keep us up to date on your address as it changes. If you do not want your address to appear online in the various databases, simply indicate that you would like your address to be kept “undisclosed” and we will keep your address from public view.

How do I notify IC of my address change?

There is an online tool so that individuals can change their addresses. Please visit the link in the top right hand corner of this page, “Make Your Changes”. If you are unable to do so then a phone call or an email to the ARSC will also suffice.

I am moving. What are my obligations to Industry Canada and the ARSC?

When you are moving to a new address within the same province notify the ARSC by email or phone to give your new mailing address and phone number. If you are moving out of province and will no longer be retaining an address in the province that your call sign a new call sign will be issued to you for the appropriate address and the old call sign will be released free of charge. If you have addresses in two different provinces you may hold call signs in those two provinces, as long as an address is provided for each province and each call sign.